Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Enemy Combatant

Mr Moazzam Begg


The Enemy Combatant is the title of a book I bought when I went for the very first date with my girlfriend, now my dear wife.

I couldn't recall the date since my diary is not with me while I am posting this onto the cyberspace.It was somewhere in August 2007 if my memory serves me right.

The book is still safe in my possession. Thick. 500-somethings pages. It is about an Englishman of Middle East origin who has seen battles in Kosovo, Bosnia and Afghanistan. His name is Moazzam Begg. The book was co-written with Victoria Brittain.

During one of his visit to Pakistan, he was mistaken for a terrorist and his ordeals began. During the span of three years he was detained under false charges. He was tortured and humiliated during interrogations. He was moved from one detention camp after another, Camp Echo Guantanamo Bay being his last.

In 2005 he was a freeman, still without charge, compensation or apology from the US government.

Truth be told, I did shedding tears while reading this book. The torture he has endured, the separation from his loved ones, observing the holy month of Ramadhan in detention were just too difficult for me to comprehend.
Count our blessings.

Count slowly and reflect.

No comments:

Post a Comment