Monday, May 4, 2009

If Only I Could Stay A Bit Longer



I stayed in Pulau Bruit, Sarawak for 2 weeks. I was there visiting my wife who is teaching at Sek Keb Sebako, Pulau Bruit. Seemed so short a stay to me. A memorable stay nevertheless.

I reached Pulau Bruit via Sarikei. The only mode of transport to go there is by the river. Sarawak is blessed with a network of inter-twinning rivers. As for the people who live by the sea or the river, the waters play an important role in their lives. The rivers take them to places and providing them protein. Fishes are still in abundance in Sarawak rivers compare to the polluted rivers in Peninsular Malaysia.

The boat took close to 2 hours to reach the wooden dock in Kg Sebako, Pulau Bruit. The kampung is a typical fisherman's enclave. Serene. Houses dotted the riverbank. Some are built on stilts. Sampans, boats and what-nots lined along the riverbank.

Here everybody knows everybody. Most of them are Melanaus. One of the major ethnic group in Sarawak. A close-knit community and friendly to a fault too. Despite in the absence of the basic amenities we always take for granted in Peninsular like piped water, electricity or tarred roads, life still goes on in Pulau Bruit. But one can imagine the difficulties they are facing.

I wish I could stay a bit longer. Fishes are the freshest. The prawns are succulent and sweet. I can have crabs for lunch and dinner everyday, if I wanted to.

And of course, who doesn't want to be with his wife whom he married 4 months ago?

This place will forever be etched in my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment